What is Tui Na Massage?
Tui Na is a form of Chinese bodywork and meridian based massage which was officially recognised by the Chinese government, in 1949, for its medical benefits and results. Tui Na literally translates as “Tui” meaning push and “Na” meaning grasp.
Tui Na is a form of deep tissue massage used to treat injuries, joint and muscle problems, and internal disorders. Tui Na may also include massage of certain acupuncture points and meridians, and additional techniques and manipulations which can be performed on people of all ages. It involves applying finger pressure in order to directly influence the flow of qi (body energy) to treat disease and illnesses. Tui Na is also used to promote health and vitality by building immunity, so that disease can be corrected in its early stages acting as a very effective and preventative health care modality. It is also used to correct physiological imbalances in the body and achieves long term therapeutic effects.
Tui Na is the basis upon which many modern complementary therapies are based, such as shiatsu, acupressure, infant massage, deep tissue massage, sports massage, and lymphatic drainage to name just a few. Many chiropractic and physiotherapy manipulations are also based on Tui Na techniques.
Benefits of Tuina Massage
- Tui Na rectifies anatomical abnormalities of both inner and outer surfaces by altering the energy level of the biological system and adjusts the bio-information of the body.
- Tui Na (sometimes called trauma therapy) breaks down scar tissue to relax muscles and tendons and promotes optimal circulation of blood and qi in order to remove blood stasis, and speed up the healing process.
- Tui Na helps to treat many disorders from soft tissue injuries to many other kinds of ailments such as:
- stiff neck and shoulders
- frozen shoulder
- chronic or acute back pain
- aching muscles
- low energy
- symptoms that are caused by stress or emotional problems, such as, insomnia, and poor concentration
- migraine and tension headaches.
Tui Na massage for specific health problems is based on a full Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnosis which involves case history taking using proper examinations to identify the physiological reason behind the patient’s primary complaint or health issue. This thorough analysis is one of the many reasons that Tui Na massage is so effective at treating the entire body. It is based on treatment principles for a specific TCM diagnosis, using specific techniques in order to treat the presenting complaint and underlying pattern.